Evesham Abbey Bell Tower Appeal Committee
The Appeal Committee has the following members:
- – recently retired after 20 years as Executive Director of the Children’s Cancer and Leukaemia Group – a national organisation and registered charity. She is also a Trustee of Omushana, a newly established charity supporting a range of projects in Uganda, and former Chair of the Fundraising Committee for Leicester Animal Aid – a dog and cat rescue centre. For the past two years she has been Secretary of the Friends of Evesham Parish Church and Bell Tower. Sue is Evesham born-and-bred and now divides her time between her homes in Leicestershire and Evesham. She is passionate about the Bell Tower and the need to preserve it for future generations. She took over as Chair of the Committee from November 2013.
- Chris Povey – Chris has known Evesham intimately all his life. Some of his earliest memories are of being taken by his parents through the churchyard (then with railings either side of the paths) and under the Bell Tower. He lives locally with his wife and is a Chartered Civil Engineer. He learnt to ring church bells over 50 years ago and first rang at the Bell Tower when still at school. He has rung regularly at the Bell Tower for the last 35 years. He is currently the Bell Tower Ringing Master and has led the team of ringers since his appointment to that post in 1984.
- – Evesham born-and-bred, Stan has a keen interest in the history of his home town, in particular the ancient centre of the town. Stan is a qualified accountant (FCCA) with a background in literature, teaching, computing and management consultancy. He is also treasurer of the Appeal.
- – joined the Committee in January 2014. Diana has strong experience serving the town as a Town Councillor and has twice served as Mayor of Evesham. She is a well known local businesswoman with a reputation for ideas and making sure they come off. She is closely involved in the running of the excellent Raphael Restaurant and the Hampton Ferry.
Over the course of the Appeal we have also benefitted from the following committee members:
- Gillian Nicholls occupied the position of Appeal Coordinator and inaugural Appeal Committee Chair to October 2013; helping the Appeal through its launch and early days.
- Lynne Jakeman served on the Appeal Committee from its inauguration until August 2014, when ill health obliged her to step back. Lynne was, as always, very practical, supportive and helpful.
- Martin Hammon served on the Appeal Committee from April 2014 to July 2014; his local knowledge and warm humour were much appreciated.
- Fran Webb served on the Appeal Committee from March 2014 to October 2014. Fran helped promote the Appeal via social media, and organised a range of events (including the excellent one-mile bridge-to-bridge river swim and the much-enjoyed Pedal Power event).
- Reg Jakeman, who sadly passed away on 15th November 2014, joined the Committee in October 2013. Reg served the town of Evesham as both a Town Councillor and a District Councillor. With his extensive business experience and strong understanding of local political issues and concerns, Reg was a great help to the Appeal.
In order to ensure strong and secure stewardship of all monies raised, a dedicated Evesham Abbey Bell Tower Appeal Trust has been created (registered charity number: 1152780). Chris Povey, Stan Brotherton, Merry Privett and Gillian Nicholls are the trustees of the Appeal Trust. The Trust has the following charitable objectives:
- To promote for the benefit of the public the preservation, conservation, protection and improvement of the Bell Tower, Evesham, Worcestershire, including its fabric, furnishings, fittings and function.
- To advance the education of the public in the appreciation, history,function, conservation and preservation of the Bell Tower, Evesham.
All monies donated to the Appeal Trust can and will ONLY be spent in connection with the Evesham Abbey Bell Tower.